Does your association or chamber ever conduct member spotlights? If not or if you’ve stepped away from them for a while, let us remind you…
- They’re a quick and easy way to generate content your members will actually enjoy
- They help your members get to know each other (and better yet, help you get to know your members)
- They make your members feel good! (Who doesn’t like to be highlighted from time to time?!)
Have we sold you on the concept yet? Hopefully so! But the key to producing engaging member spotlights on a regular basis is to switch up the questions every now and again. Some questions you’ll want to keep consistent (What’s your name? Where do you work? Etc.), but don’t be afraid to toss in a few new and even off-the-wall questions to keep your members and readers on their toes.
At a loss for questions to ask? Check out the 20 below!
- How long have you been a member of [Organization’s Name]?
- Why did you join [Organization Name]?
- What do you love most about [Organization Name]?
- What’s your favorite [Organization Name] event and why?
- What’s your biggest (or one of your biggest) professional accomplishment(s) so far?
- If you could choose anyone as a mentor, who would you choose?
- What’s one thing — either industry/work-related or not — you learned in the past month?
- How do you define success?
- What’s one skill you’d like to develop or sharpen this year?
- What’s the best piece of career advice you’ve ever received?
- When you’re not working, how do you enjoy spending your time?
- What’s something about you (a fun fact) not many people know?
- What did you want to be growing up?
- What’s one item you can’t live without?
- What was the last book you read?
- What was the first concert you ever attended?
- If you had to eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What are you currently binge watching?
- If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be and why?
- What characteristic do you admire most in others?
Member spotlights are fun! And they’re a lot easier to conduct than you might think. Try emailing a few of your members directly or pulling them aside at one of your events. It’ll only take a couple minutes, and they’ll likely be flattered.
Want more tips for engaging your members beyond member spotlights? We’re talking about tactics for your website, email, social media, etc. Check out our free guide, Member Engagement for Associations and Chambers of Commerce, below!