If you’re like most association professionals, you keep the topic of member engagement in the forefront of your mind. And for good reason! After all, it’s the KEY to attracting and keeping your members.
But we’ll be the first to admit that member engagement is no easy feat. It’s become somewhat of a buzzword that, in practice, is actually quite complicated. So to help you get started, we’ve put together 14 ways to engage your members online.
Take a look!
- Offer fresh, up-to-date content on your organization’s website. This could include blog posts, an image gallery, event postings, etc.
- Utilize responsive website templates that are favorable to both desktop and mobile users. This is no longer just a “nice to have.” It’s a MUST.
- Use built-in forms throughout your organization’s website. This is a great way to collect more information about your members.
- Stay active on social media. You don’t have to be on every social media site possible, but do focus on two or three that really make sense for your organization. (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are typically the most popular.)
- Utilize social communities and online forums. These are great additions to traditional social media sites. (More about social communities here.)
- Send your members a monthly e-newsletter. Just make sure the content is relevant, and more importantly, valuable.
- Blog on a regular basis. Not only will this help showcase your organization’s personality, but it will encourage your members to revisit your website on a regular basis. (See point #1.)
- Send out member surveys. Just like built-in website forms, these are great for collecting member information. You could ask your members what they thought of a certain event, what they like most about your organization, what they like least, etc.
- Utilize website widgets. Website widgets help boost member engagement by offering a richer website experience. Consider utilizing Twitter widgets, calendar widgets, and/or search widgets on your organization’s site.
- Host a few industry-related webinars. These are becoming increasingly popular in the association space – and for good reason! They’re easy to put together and great for increasing online member engagement.
- Publish a few, short YouTube videos. These don’t have to be anything super fancy – just make sure they’re informative. (More tips for creating YouTube videos here.)
- Host a live Q&A. Got an upcoming event? Why not interview the speaker(s)? Not only is this a great way to generate engagement, but it’s a good way to drive registrations as well.
- Build and publish a few simple infographics. Again, these don’t have to be anything fancy – just something simple and informative to engage your more visual members.
- Create a few basic SlideShare presentations. Now not to worry. If you can create a PowerPoint presentation, you can create a SlideShare presentation. What’s the point you ask? Well the more places you can share your organization’s content, the more likely it is to get read.
Want more tips for engaging your members online? Check out our free Member Engagement Guide below!